Are you in the furniture industry planning to launch an online store? Or, are you planning to start an online business by selling products related to furniture? It can be office furniture, sofas, drawers, beds, and even RMG custom cabinet hinges. Managing a company or professional business website involves a lot of hard work, but it doesn’t have to be difficult to start! Listed below are the basic steps of making a website for your furniture business. Check them out!
1) Choose an eCommerce Site Builder
Many online furniture sellers promote their products on platforms like Etsy and eBay. Although they are effective in reaching a wide audience, they are not ideal for a long-term business. If you want to establish a professional and reliable brand, it’s better if you have your own website.
To achieve this, you must choose the right website builder for your furniture business. If you are worried you have no idea about making a website, don’t worry! There are various eCommerce website builders that can help you create a fully-functional online store.
When choosing a site builder, here are the factors you need to consider:
- Ease of operation – If you are no that knowledgeable of the technicalities of making a website, then it’s best you choose the one that’s simple to use and you’re most comfortable with.
- Price plans – Before making the final decision, you also have to consider how much you are willing to invest. Check and compare the price plans of each builder. You also need to think about what you want long-term. If your goal is to expand, then it’s better to go with premium plans. They may cost more now but will surely pay for themselves in the future.
- Features – Aside from the prices, check the features each site builder offers. Do they provide everything you need for your online store? Visualize how you want your website to turn out and choose the builder that can provide you the resources needed to achieve it.
- Client support – Site builders provide you the necessary tools to make your website. However, there will be times that you are going to need help. Choose the builder that is known to provide excellent support to their clients.
- Design selection – Design is crucial to your website. So, choose a builder that offers a wide selection of designs. Also, you must be able to customize the template easily to fit the design you want for your website.
After choosing a site builder, it’s better if you opt for the premium plan. This lets you enjoy more useful features in building your online shop. Keep in mind that for site builders, the pricier the plan is, the more features you can use. Therefore, think about which tools and resources you need and find the best plan that offers them.
2) Pick Your Domain Name
Now that you have a site builder, it’s time to pick your domain name. A domain name refers to your site’s address, which people use to locate your website. With this considered, it’s essential that you really think about what your domain name will be. To help you out, here are some things to keep in mind when doing so:
- Keep it short and simple. You’d want your domain name to be remembered easily by people.
- Refrain from using hyphens and numbers. Since you want people to remember your website address easily, it’s better to stay away from numbers and special characters. Also, if you are sharing your address with someone else, you’d want to convey it as clear as possible. Adding things like hyphens and numbers will make this complicated.
- Make it relevant. It’s essential to make your website as relevant as possible. Through your domain name, people should know right away what your online shop is about. Apart from that, make sure your domain name is unique and catchy. As mentioned, you want it to be something people can easily remember.
3) Select a Template and Customize It
You are going to need a template when building your online shop. Fortunately, site builders have a variety of templates you can choose from. Comparing templates helps you determine what features you want for your site and how it’s going to look.
When you have selected a template, you must customize it. Remember, your website is the online representation of your brand or company. Therefore, own it and make it stand out. Some of the things you can customize include text, fonts, images, colors, headings, page layout, buttons, galleries, menus, and more.
4) Add Your Products
After setting up your website, it’s now time to add your furniture products! This may be the most exciting part but will take a lot of work. How you showcase your furniture on your website will have a huge impact on how your business will turn out. So, take these notes in mind when uploading your products:
- Categorize your products.
- Choose high-quality images.
- Create irresistible and clear product descriptions.
- Set the right prices.
By following the things mentioned above, you will create a smooth and easy buying experience for your customers.
5) Set Up Your Payment Methods
Since you are selling online, it’s imperative that you add ideal payment methods for your customers. The most common ways to pay online are through PayPal, Apple Pay, Amazon Pay, and Square. Of course, there are still so many payment gateways out there. When choosing, always keep in mind what is most convenient for you and your customers.
6) Launch and Test Your Furniture Website
When you think you have everything taken care of, your online furniture business is now ready to go live! However, don’t do that just yet. Preview it first to check if you like what you are seeing. This is also the time to make sure that all images load and if all links work. When you are 100% sure that everything is working perfectly, you can now publish your website!
These are the basic steps of setting up your online furniture business. However, the work does not stop there. Remember that a website is never a finished product. You need to keep updating it to invite more customers and keep up with competitors. Best of luck!